11 | Floundering
With the Court of Oyer and Terminer officially disbanded, the fog of uncertainly rolled into Salem. What would happen to those still in jail? When would a new trial session begin? And most importantly, who would grab the wheel of power and steer Salem to victory over darkness?
- Mary Beth Norton, In the Devil’s Snare: The Salem Witchcraft Crisis of 1692 (New York: Vintage Books, 2002).
- Bernard Rosenthal ed., Records of the Salem Witch Hunt (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2009).
- David Freeman Hawke, Everyday Life in Early America (New York: Harper & Row, 1988).
- Bruce C. Daniels, Puritans at Play: Leisure and Recreation in Colonial New England (New York: Palgrave MacMillan, 1995).
- “Danforth, Thomas, 1623–1699,” The Yale Indian Papers Project, The Native Northeast Portal, Yale University, https://yipp.yale.edu/bio/bibliography/danforth-thomas-1623-1699.
- John Frederick Martin, Profits in the Wilderness: Entrepreneurship and the Founding of New England Towns in the Seventeenth Century (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1991).
- Marilynne Roach, The Salem Witch Trials: A Day-by-Day Chronicle of a Community Under Siege (New York: Taylor Trade Publishing, 2004).
- Emerson Baker and James Kences, “Maine, Indian Land Speculation, and the Essex County Witchcraft Outbreak of 1692,” Maine History 40.3 (Fall 2001), pp. 159–189.
- Richard Hite, In the Shadow of Salem: The Andover Witch Hunt of 1692 (Yardley, PA: Westholme Publishing 2018).
- Richard Francis, Judge Sewall’s Apology: The Salem Witch Trials and the Forming of an American Conscience (New York: HarperCollins, 2015).
- David Goss, The Salem Witch Trials: A Reference Guide (Greenwood 2008).
- David Goss, Daily Life during the Salem Witch Trial, (Santa Barbara: Greenwood 2012).
- Emerson Baker, A Storm of Witchcraft: The Salem Trials and the American Experience (New York: Oxford University Press, 2015).
- Diane E. Foulds, Death in Salem: The Private Lives behind the 1692 Witch Hunt (Guildford, CT: Globe Pequot Press, 2010).