01 | The Arrival
The stage is set, the characters are introduced, and the spell is cast. Welcome to Salem Village, home to a diverse and complicated gathering of families and personalities. It is a pile of dry kindling, and the match is about to be struck.
SimpliSafe Home Security system is sleek and intuitive, and it’s beautifully designed to blend right in with your home. And at just $15 a month, it’s downright delightful.
Go to SimpliSafe.com/unobscured right now, and start protecting your home and family today.
Buy and print official US postage right from the comfort of your home or office, using your own computer and printer.
Visit Stamps.com today, click the microphone at the top of the home page, and enter “UNOBSCURED” to start your 4-week trial, plus postage and a digital scale…and all without long-term commitments.
- Emerson Baker, “Winter, Weather, and Witchcraft,” OUP Blog, Oxford University Press, March 17, 2015, https://blog.oup.com/2015/03/winter-weather-witchcraft-history.
- Samuel Parris, “Sermon Notebook of Samuel Parris: January 3, 1691,” Salem Witch Trials: Documentary Archive, University of Virginia, http://salem.lib.virginia.edu/sermons/parris-sermon-3-jan-1691.html
- Marilynne Roach, The Salem Witch Trials: A Day-by-Day Chronicle of a Community Under Siege (New York: Taylor Trade Publishing, 2004).
- David Goss, The Salem Witch Trials: A Reference Guide (Westport, CT: Greenwood 2008).
- Richard Latner, “ ‘Here Are No Newters’: Witchcraft and Religious Discord in Salem Village and Andover,” The New England Quarterly 79.1 (2006), pp. 92–122.
- Stephen Foster, The Long Argument: English Puritanism and the Shaping of New England Culture, 1570–1700 (Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 1991).
- Benjamin C. Ray, Satan and Salem: The Witch-hunt Crisis of 1692 (Charlottesville, VA: University of Virginia Press, 2015).
- Paul Boyer and Stephen Nissenbaum, Salem Possessed: The Social Origins of Witchcraft (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1974).
- Larry Gragg, A Quest for Security: The Life of Samuel Parris, 1653–1720 (Westport, CT: Greenwood 1990).